Tuesday, June 30, 2020

THE DIRTY WINDOW

The reading today starts with these words, "Seek good & not evil” (Amos 5:14).

Seeking GOOD means that we seek the One who is All Good. That is God Himself. We need to seek Jesus.
If we seek Jesus & let Him fill up our lives then it follows that we will “hate evil, love good & let justice prevail” (Amos 5:15). It follows that we will DO GOOD.
However, we need to guard ourselves when we seek & do GOOD. Because our MOTIVATION is more important than our ACTION.
Imagine seeing a stained window glass.
You get hold of the best glass cleaning solution & a clean rug. Then you spend a lot of time & energy to make it sparkly clean.
But you’re shocked when you go inside & you look through the same window. The window is still smeared! It’s still dirty.
Why?
Because the dirt is on the inside!
Doing GOOD is an "INSIDE JOB”, not just an external one. This is why God declares in today’s reading:

"I hate, I despise your feasts, I take no pleasure in your solemnities. Even though you bring me your burnt offerings & grain offerings I will not accept them; Your stall-fed communion offerings, I will not look upon them. Take away from me your noisy songs; The melodies of your harps, I will not listen to them” - Amos 5:21-23

God looks at your INSIDE INTENTION first before your OUTSIDE ACTION. Seeking God means removing the filth of sin inside us so that our external acts become pure.
Jesus said in Matthew 5:24, "leave your gift there at the altar, go first & be reconciled with your brother, & then come and offer your gift.”
Fix the inside before doing anything outside. Jesus tells the Pharisees & the Teachers of the law to help the poor first before calling out those who don’t follow the law. He says that to them that "as to what is within, give alms, & behold, everything will be clean for you” (Luke 11:41)
As we start the second half of 2020 today, always asked yourself this question - “WHY AM I DOING THIS?”
If we want to be better, then we need to change ourselves inside out.
Lord, guide my thoughts before I act. Cleanse my soul that I may do GOOD that is motivated by LOVE for You & LOVE for others only. Amen!
Have a blessed week friends! - alvinfabella@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment